Sunday, August 26, 2012

Casey and Gabe's Engagement Story!



Ok, I know you're all wondering about this proposal! It was very Gabe - romantic, thoughtful, and of course very well planned. I started at my parents' house where I opened a box explaining that there would be a treasure hunt, that Cooper (my brother) would be coming along with me to take photos and video, and that with each stop on my journey I would receive a clue to direct me to the next location as well as a CD to play on the drive that would "enhance the clue."

My first clue led me to my grandparents' house, where they and my great aunt and uncle were waiting with another clue leading me to Las Lomas, the high school that Gabe and I went to. Gabe's friend Travis was there waiting with the next clue, taking us to The Ballet School where I danced for 14 years. My friend Kiersten (who prompted Gabe to ask me to junior prom all those years ago) made me put on a tutu and dance before I could get the next clue - definitely an unexpected but fun twist! Next we went to the Santi's house, good family friends who greeted me with fresh iced tea and blueberries...and a clue of course! This one took us to Gabe's dad and stepmom's house, where Cal and Portia (his brother and sister) presented me with a clue. The next location was a special one - Walnut Creek Intermediate, the middle school where Gabe and I met. Gabe's friend (and former French classmate) Terence was waiting outside the classroom where we took 8th grade French together and where Gabe sent me the infamous anonymous valentine. Next we went to the movie theater where Gabe and I had our first date and first kiss! His mom and stepdad came all the way from St. Helena to be there to deliver the next clue. Finally, after about two and a half hours of driving around, we got to return to my parents' house, where Cooper had an elaborate laser light and dry ice setup for the next clue. For this one, I left Cooper behind and drove back out towards Berkeley, up to Fish Ranch Road, a popular lookout area with amazing views of the San Francisco Bay. Unfortunately I got stuck in awful traffic before the tunnel so the normally 20 minute drive took close to 45! I kind of thought Gabe might be waiting for me at the next spot, but it was his friends Tyler and John - we took photos on our own since Cooper wasn't there. The one you'll see is our 90's boy band pose : )

Finally I got the last clue, leading me back to Gabe's and my place. I walked in the door and saw my handsome boyfriend (now fiance!!) waiting for me by a red X on the floor (like X marks the spot, get it?!). I don't even remember everything he said because it was so overwhelming, but he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him, and of course I said yes!

Here's the video that Cooper put together of all the stops we made in Walnut Creek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1IlIz66u70&feature=plcp



 Just like the Backstreet Boys, right?



 X marks the spot! Poppy contributed by laying on the carpet.

 All the clues put together

 Awww!

 On the way to dinner



 Gabe designed this ring - so beautiful!

Dinner in San Francisco


Poppy's been acting up a bit - I think she's jealous and not getting enough attention. I caught her trying to look at the bride's manual that Marilyn gave me...

5 comments:

  1. Great love story, well written, photos wonderful too. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and best wishes. Enjoy every moment of this magical time in your lives. Debbie and Tom Herzfeld

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so thoughtful! I teared up when I read the cute little poem at the end. I am so happy for you two and your next chapter!

    <3Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith Anderson-RiceAugust 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM

    Congratulations, Casey and Gabe! I'm so happy for you and look forward to seeing more posts as you plan for the big day.

    P.S. Your blog is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete