Thursday, May 24, 2012

Hospital Food

The view from the hospital room...not too shabby!




Sorry for the minimal blogging this week, guys. It's been a bit of a rough one and there hasn't been much cooking going. My amazing boyfriend has sadly landed himself in the hospital with a partially collapsed lung. It happened completely randomly, scary! Thankfully he will be fine in a few more days (fingers crossed) but it's definitely been a long week. Nobody likes spending time in the hospital but he's been a real trooper. And I must say he still looks incredibly handsome even with a breathing tube in his nose and a port in his chest : ) Which I do have photos of, but I don't think he would like them publicized.


Anyway, since this is a food blog, I thought I'd say a few words about hospital food. Primarily, WTF. I knew it was bad, but being fortunate to have never spent a great deal of time in the hospital, I didn't realize just how bad. This was the dinner served to him last night:

And tonight:

Poor quality photography aside (used my iPhone, not my real camera, and fluorescent lights don't help either), how appetizing does that food look?? Yeahhh, not so yummy. Don't worry, I don't force him to eat that. I and several wonderful family members and friends have been bringing in real food including a pretty delicious couscous, veggie, and feta salad I made - maybe I'll share the recipe at some point. Ironically, I read this article just a few days before this all happened, and was feeling pretty optimistic about the state of hospital food.

All that said, I absolutely have the utmost respect for the people who work in the kitchen/cafeteria at this hospital and others around the country/world. I'm sure it's not an easy job, and certainly a pretty thankless one. So thank you, hospital food service workers, and I'm sorry my boyfriend hasn't been eating the meals you so lovingly prepare for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment